We know that the idea of survival bicycling does not immediately jump to mind when thinking about bicycling. Also, bicycling does not appeal to everybody and maybe a bicycle doesn’t quite fit into the monthly budget.
BUT, here’s why you should at least entertain the idea of owning a bicycle. Especially if you are not already an enthusiast ... and ... if you ARE an enthusiastic cyclist, then the list of reasons could give you some additional points to ponder on ...
- Bicycling As A Means Of Transport And Transport Alternative
- Health Benefits Of Bicycling
- Adventure And Sport Bicycling
- Bicycling As A Life-Long Family Activity
- Survival Bicycling
That being said, let's take a closer look at the mentioned reasons ...
Featured Image: Flickr - Pebble Pedalers
The Reasons For Survival Bicycling
Here are 5 noteworthy reasons why you should consider survival bicycling:
- Bicycling saves money in terms of car maintenance and gas, and it helps to avoid traffic jams. It also increases the mobility of anyone that does not own a car or motorbike, and it is certainly faster than walking.
- The health benefits of bicycling are numerous. Cardio fitness as well as muscle and joint health comes to mind when talking about the health benefits.
- Many people out there are avid adventure, or sport bicycling enthusiasts. Think about off-road adventure trails, adventure and camping trips, road bike races and other bicycle-specific events.
- Bicycling is a lifelong activity enjoyed by the young and the not-so-young alike. It is an activity that can be enjoyed by the whole family in any kind of setting.
- Survival bicycling is not something that immediately jumps to mind when one thinks about bicycling, but it something that needs to be seriously considered and here’s why ...
Before Hurricane Sandy took out power, subways, buses, and some roads this week, New Yorkers stocked up on food, water, duct tape, flashlights, and batteries. After the storm, they stocked up on bicycles. An overlooked survival tool, the bike has become the only realistic mode of transportation for thousands of residents of the nation’s densest and most populous city. That shouldn’t come as a surprise.
From post-Sandy New York to rush-hour in Jakarta, the bicycle steps up where infrastructure falls short. It’s narrow enough to squeeze through traffic, efficient and fast enough to cover lots of ground, and simple enough that just about anyone can operate and maintain one.
Further to this ...
The common bicycle is fast, quiet, muscle-powered, and easy to maintain. Add to this the additional advantage that it is the only vehicle you can pick up and carry if the terrain gets rough. People using bicycles to escape from infested areas have almost always fared better than those on foot.
Image Source: Flickr - Brad Wenner
No truer words have been written about the common bicycle and is definitely a good motivation for putting survival bicycling on the “To Do” list.
Leave a Reply
Prepare Yourself For Survival KayakingWhat does kayaking have to do with survival? [...]
The SurvivalTab Everstryke Match ReviewSurvival is basic human instinct. Your [...]
How Important Is Your Wilderness Survival First Aid KitWilderness survival first aid kits are items [...]
Use Trees For Survival In 4 Surprising WaysHey there SurvivalTab readers. In this post [...]
Be the first to start a conversation